Siena and Rosia

over a century of innovation

1904

Foundation of the Institute

In a small villa on the outskirts of Siena, Achille Sclavo founds the Institute, to produce the serum against anthrax he had discovered.

More

1910-20

The industrial development

The Sclavo Institute is restructured to meet the scientific advances of the time and the needs of World War I.

More

1930-40

Sclavo’s legacy

After the death of the founder, the Institute remained a family business, gradually establishing itself at the national level.

More

1950

The international scope and new applications

The increasing degree of technical sophistication leads the Institute to be a modern center not only of production, but also for the study and research.

More

1960

Albert Sabin’s turning point

The Institute begins to produce Sabin’s anti-polio and starts the collaboration with the Wellcome Foundation in London.

More

1970-80

Expansion of the institute

The Institute extends in the US, while the futuristic Research Center is born and the activities of the new area of Rosia start.

More

1990

The genetics revolution

From the collaboration with Venter, the Reverse Vaccinology technique is born, key of the vaccine against meningococcus B.

More

2000

The fight against meningitis and flu

The company becomes one of the most important realities in vaccines, whose study proceeds, in addition to their use in mass vaccinations.

More

Today

Number one in vaccines

With the integration in GSK, the Siena and Rosia site becomes part of a pharmaceutical company committed on a global scale.

More

 
chiudi

1990

The genetics revolution


From the collaboration with Venter, the Reverse Vaccinology technique is born, key of the vaccine against meningococcus B.

SienaPortineria

– Entrance of Siena site during the Chiron era  –

In 1992 the vaccines branch was acquired by Ciba Geigy, which subsequently created a joint venture with Chiron Corporation, called Biocine, originating one of the most cutting-edge biotechnology companies in the world. The new company, which soon became entirely Chiron, immediately established itself as the first pole of the Vaccines division and as the leading company in the Italian market, developing and marketing traditional and internationally innovative vaccines, such as those against pertussis and meningitis type C, and beginning to design those against meningitis type B and H. pylori.
It was in these years that the fight against meningitis began. In 1990 the development of the conjugate vaccine for meningococci C and A started. In 1997 Craig Venter (TIGR) sequenced the genome of Neisseria meningitides serotype B, from which Reverse Vaccinology would originate, a technique thanks to which in 1998 began the development of the vaccine against meningococcal meningitis type B.
In 1997 the first influenza vaccine adjuvanted with MF59 was registered; MF59 was the first adjuvant produced since 1924, and in 2000 it was approved in Europe.

– Rino Rappuoli (Head of Global Research of the company) welcome Craig Venter (TIGR) visiting Research Center, a few year after the successful cooperation in genomic sequencing of Neisseria Meningitidis B  –

 

| Materiale d’archivio gentilmente concesso da Gruppo Anziani Sclavo |