Siena and Rosia

over a century of innovation

1904

Foundation of the Institute

In a small villa on the outskirts of Siena, Achille Sclavo founds the Institute, to produce the serum against anthrax he had discovered.

More

1910-20

The industrial development

The Sclavo Institute is restructured to meet the scientific advances of the time and the needs of World War I.

More

1930-40

Sclavo’s legacy

After the death of the founder, the Institute remained a family business, gradually establishing itself at the national level.

More

1950

The international scope and new applications

The increasing degree of technical sophistication leads the Institute to be a modern center not only of production, but also for the study and research.

More

1960

Albert Sabin’s turning point

The Institute begins to produce Sabin’s anti-polio and starts the collaboration with the Wellcome Foundation in London.

More

1970-80

Expansion of the institute

The Institute extends in the US, while the futuristic Research Center is born and the activities of the new area of Rosia start.

More

1990

The genetics revolution

From the collaboration with Venter, the Reverse Vaccinology technique is born, key of the vaccine against meningococcus B.

More

2000

The fight against meningitis and flu

The company becomes one of the most important realities in vaccines, whose study proceeds, in addition to their use in mass vaccinations.

More

Today

Number one in vaccines

With the integration in GSK, the Siena and Rosia site becomes part of a pharmaceutical company committed on a global scale.

More

 
chiudi

1960

Albert Sabin’s turning point


The Institute begins to produce Sabin’s anti-polio and starts the collaboration with the Wellcome Foundation in London.

Sabin1

– 1962 | Sabin at the entrance of Virology department of the Institute  –

The leap is accomplished in the early 60s, when the Serotherapeutic Institute became a limited company and began to produce the vaccine against polio, obtained by Albert Sabin. In the Sienese factory, in fact, the American scientist found a working environment of great value for his extremely important drug, which would defeat one of the most terrible childhood diseases.

In 1967, the Institute initiates a series of arrangements with the Wellcome Foundation Limited in London, which involves – as reported by the minutes of a contemporary Sclavo Board – “the widest possible technical-scientific and commercial cooperation, through appropriate exchanges of their respective knowledge”.

Through this collaboration, the Sclavo Institute begins exporting the polio vaccine also in the United Kingdom.

– Site expansion during the years  –

The Institute counted over 500 employees and had a clearly defined program for each area of its activities, which placed it at the forefront within the Italian health organizing, especially in the field of prophylaxis and treatment of infectious diseases and clinical diagnostics.

– 1963 | Informative flier  –

 

| Materiale d’archivio gentilmente concesso da Gruppo Anziani Sclavo |